Monday, July 6, 2009

Cobbler For Breakfast: A Good Idea, Until Your Teeth Turn Blue

Having spent the week leading up to the holiday weekend dying of some upper respiratory plague, it was with great joy that I woke up on July 3 with the ability to breathe through both nostrils. CPM was also overjoyed, and invited me to join him on a celebratory 30 mile bike ride. (Some people would just eat cake or something. Not me. I enjoy torturous physical activity.) By mile 2, I was convinced that I was going to die. A week of forced inactivity had weakened me. By mile 10, all was well, except I was holding CPM up. He was riding his fancy road bike, and I was on my comfy hybrid. After the ride, and a lunch at Farmicia, we ended up in a bike shop. Somehow, CPM convinced me that it would be a good idea to buy this, so that I would no longer ride at a snail's pace:

Trek 1.2

It's a women's Trek 1.2, the starter road bike. On Saturday morning, CPM suggested we take it for its inaugural ride, towards a brunch at Dos Segundos. This sounded like a really good idea! It was, sort of. What better way to learn how to ride a bike than to actually ride a bike. I only almost died one time, when I ended up in a trolley track in front of an asshole SUV, somewhere in the hinterlands of North Philly. Lesson learned. Trolley tracks suck. Asshole SUV drivers suck more. North Philly by bike is a little scary. Mimosas make everything better.

I definitely developed a new form of road rage on the new bike. I also developed a keener sense that the streets of Philly aren't so clean. Yuck. At least my neighborhood isn't covered in broken glass and discarded Dunkin Donuts cups...yet. Some of the other areas of the city, well, it's too late for you, I'm sorry to say.

On Sunday, CPM and I decided to try brunch at a new spot that I had read about somewhere online, Cafe Estelle. What follows are boring food photos. (And we took the car this time, by my request.) Trust me, everything was delicious. Our server was incredibly nice and even gave us the secret to CPM's delicious smoothie. Verdict: repeat visits are necessary!

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie...(The secret is the Jif peanut butter)
Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie

Eggs Benedict with Spinach and Mushrooms
Eggs Benedict, Mushrooms and Spinach

Shirred Eggs
Shirred Eggs

Walnut Sticky Bun, Drowning in Cream Cheese Frosting
Walnut Sticky Bun

At some point over the weekend, I did do a little cooking. I wanted to make something "fourthy." You know, summery and with a festive holiday feel. I settled on the cobbler #2 featured on The Pioneer Woman's website. Only, I don't have access to a bountiful supply of blackberries. So I used a combination of blue and blackberries, and then made homemade whipped cream. Ooh la la. I'm still eating this for breakfast. And yes, it does turn your teeth blue. But it's so worth it.

Black and Blueberry Cobbler

1 comment:

  1. Jeezus, woman! You're a super biking machine!
    I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a bike. And, my "toying" with, I mean, I thought of it once.
    That cream cheese covered walnut thing looks artery-clogging delicious.

    ReplyDelete