I've had a lot on my mind over the last week, but nothing that I wish to discuss with the people of the internetz. Also, I needed to get to thrift store to get into a project I wanted to do, and that trip didn't happen until this past weekend. So, I was on hiatus from my brief career as a blogger. Thus, you get the following posty mish mash...
One evening last week, I decided to make a "healthy dessert." (Remind me later that these two words should never be used together.) After taking an inventory of available baking materials, and realizing I had nothing except fruit on hand, I decided to try to bake some apples. I googled for recipes, then decided to just wing it. After coring two apples, I stuffed the centers with chopped pecans, a little bit of honey, and some cinammon that I had mixed in a bowl. I placed both in a shallow baking dish with a little bit of water, and baked for 45 minutes on 350 degrees. The result...meh. If I were to do this again, I'd add brown sugar. That would definitely give it the oomph I was looking for.
For the past few weeks, I have been wanting to try my hand at sewing a shirt for myself. I've had this pattern for a while:
But I was afraid. Very afraid. It has gathers. And buttonholes. Scary. Rather than waste expensive fabric, I decided that the smart course of action would be to buy an XL men's shirt, and refashion it using the pattern pieces. This is how far I had progressed after 3 hours:
I hope to sew on the other arm tonight, and finish the hem as well. Please note that I totally cheated on the button holes. Instead of making new ones, I positioned the pattern piece on the original shirt so that the original button holes remained intact. Also note that I missed the entire section on how to gather the sleeves and completely winged that part. Finally, let's not discuss the hour I spent trying to figure out why the sleeve was originally sewed on inside out and thus had to be painstakingly removed and reattached. I'm considering this a possibly wearable muslin. Not bad for the $2 that I spent on the fabric. (I will not be adding the ruffle. Ick.)
Finally, last evening it was time to flip the mattress on my bed. As usual, I was supervised by the pets. They were really helpful.
Squirt, taking charge of the pillows:
Ollie and Rocky, maintaining the new blanket and sheets: