Monday, March 30, 2009

Another Posty Mish Mash

I'm starting this post with a meal that has become a regular feature for us in the broomcakes household. Jaime turned me on to this Cooking Light recipe for Cuban Black Bean Patties with Pineapple Rice. CPM quickly convinced me that I would need to double the recipe in order to satisfy his appetite. It's a little bit labor intensive for a weeknight, but definitely worth it:

Black Bean Patties and Pineapple Rice

On top of the labor intensiveness of the main dish, CPM requested that the meal be accompanied by pineapple salsa. WTF. I don't know how to make pineapple salsa. So, I winged it. I tossed a sliced fresh pineapple, 1 jalapeno, half of a red onion, the juice of one lime, and a little cilantro in the food processor and whizzed away.

Pretty tasty:

Pineapple salsa

I finished two shirts...first the refashion victim:

yShirt

Second, Simplicity 3835, what I am calling the muumuu shirt:

Simplicity 3835

This was an easy sew! I love this fabric, but I'm not sure I can pull off wearing the shirt...it's a little busy. Maybe with some black pants? Who knows. I actually sewed the pattern size 12, because that is my bust size, and I didn't want to look like I was wearing a maternity shirt. My hip size is closer to 16-18 (otherwise known as having "junk in the trunk"). I counted on the pattern ease to accommodate my ample posterior. It worked! It fits. I have a funky skull fabric that I might try next. Stay tuned.

Finally, Jaime and I hit up a couple of thrift shops this weekend. I busted my wallet grabbing up clothes for refashioning, old drapes to use for a purse design I am working on, cheap uncut patterns, and this non functional but completely adorable clock. I have it watching over me in the sewing room.

Thrifty goodness

2 comments:

  1. If you don't want to post, send me a picture of you wearing the shirt. I just want to see how it looks on you.

    ReplyDelete